It’s no secret that moving is a lot of work. Truth is it can be very stressful, too. To help ease the pain we’ve created this mover’s guide to remind you of important steps to take prior to the big day. A little prep work can really go a long way, so keep this checklist close. We hope these simple and easy to follow tips will make your move that much easier.
45 days before you move
- Call movers to get estimates. Check reviews for reputable movers.
- Once you select a mover, discuss costs, packing, time, and insurance.
- Consolidate your belongings. Consider having a garage sale or donating unwanted items to charity.
30 days before you move
- Notify your doctor, dentist, vet etc. of your move so that records can be transferred. Check with them for referrals.
- Find out which school your children will be attending, and how to register. Check with your current school about transferring records.
- Check into the banks in the area. Many can open new accounts online and have your checks waiting for you when you arrive.
- Fill out the change of address form with USPS.
- Don’t forget to cancel local deliveries such as newspapers and dry cleaning
- Contact utility companies to set up disconnection dates.
14 days before you move
- Pack valuable papers and items which you will be moving yourself. You may want to include family photos, scrapbooks and other items of sentimental value.
- Clean out your refrigerator and cabinets. Plan meals using food you don’t want to take with you when you move.
- Have your vehicles serviced for the trip.
- Plan a furniture layout for the movers, indicating where your things belong in your new home.
- Pack anything the movers aren’t packing.
- Plan for a thorough cleaning of your house, carpets and draperies.
- If your current home hasn’t been sold, make arrangements with your real estate agent for maintenance and security.
3 days before the move
- Pack a “survival kit” in case you have to wait for the movers at your new home. Include paper towels and plastic eating utensils, toilet paper, soap, towels, bedding, snacks, phone chargers, eyeglasses, contact lenses, and medicines.
- Don’t forget to leave out clothes for the trip.
- Get a cashier’s check for the movers.
- Defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Give the movers a number where they can reach you.